Simple Herb Vinaigrette for Salade Niçoise
a simple 1:2 acid: oil ratio vinaigrette for Classic Salade Nicoise
Servings: 1 cup
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar or lemon juice, or a combination of both
- ¾ cup neutral oil or olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced this is not in Julia's recipe, but I can't imagine a recipe from the south of France or my own kitchen not having garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, chives, and basil Julia suggests tarragon, or a pinch of dried herbs
- ½ teaspoon mustard * optional, for flavor as well to help emulsfiy the dressing
Combine the vinegar or lemon juice, oil, salt, garlic, and mustard if using, in a mason jar or blender. Shake the jar or run the blender for about 15 seconds to blend thoroughly. Season with black pepper if using.
Stir in the herbs and correct salt and pepper just before dressing the salad.