We spent the last two weekends, and quite obviously, the week in between, in and around the San Francisco Bay area. We didn't intend to be away from home for that long, but after the first few days, we were enjoying the complete and utter newness of every meal, every restaurant, every neighborhood, everything, that we extended our stay up to the very last minute that the sitter could keep Daisy...
I didn't drink any more irresponsibly than I do at home (which would be impossible, actually), but I did eat so much more frequently and with so much more abandon that I tweeted about impending "detox" before we even hit the I-5 south back to Los Angeles. When I stepped on the bathroom scale the morning after we returned, I stepped right back off of it, flipped it over and adjusted the batteries because I thought it was broken. I held my breath as I stepped back on the scale.
It wasn't broken.
And I hadn't gained a single pound eating my ass on in San Francisco for nine straight days.
So I guess the five hours on the road back home mentally preparing myself for a month of punishing detox was unfounded.
Rather, the half of detox that is related to weight was unfounded. The other half, which is about nutrition, and the other half that is related to adding fractions after, oh, you know, 2½ bottles of wine, still needs to eat a bowl of raw, fresh, cider vinegar-based kaleslaw and drink ginger-spiked green juice for a few weeks.
Kale Slaw Recipe
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
For Kale Slaw
- 1 bunch lacinato dinosaur, black or any of the "flat leaf" kales, stems removed and leaves julienned
- quarter head red cabbage shredded
- 1 carrot julienned
- 1 stalk celery thinly sliced on bias, plus the leaves
- ½ small red onion very thinly sliced
- tight handful of parsley leaves
- optional: fresh cracked black pepper
- Whisk together apple cider vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, honey, and salt in the bottom of a large mixing bowl to make a "vinaigrette."
- Toss vegetables into the large bowl over the dressing, and toss to coat. Taste and season with additional salt if needed, and pepper.
- Kale slaw can be served immediately.
Ach, lucky you to eat as you like and not gain any weight either!
Mara @ Elemental Custard says
Yum I love everything with kale!
Delicious! Also feeling like I needed a bit of a detox, I tried this tonight and loved it -- such a beautiful salad. Thanks for your excellent recipes and banter, Sarah!
you might not believe that i've never eaten kale. I think i must.
Sarah | Yahoo! Shine says
To be so lucky! But you're right--sometimes just the *feeling* of heaviness (too much cheese and chocolate this christmas!) is enough to call for days of kale and green juice, even if you haven't actually gained any weight. We're celebrating a return to healthy eating this month on the Shine Supper Club and we'd love if you joined us with this recipe (or another like it!).
lukman ahsan says
Sound very Delicious and never tried before this kind of recipes...i`m from south asia so this kind of recipes is most favorite by locals because vegetables are good for health. ,